Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Dear Wisteria Lane...

Dear Bitter Amanda,

Have you ever been in the following situation? You meet someone for the first time, and you're making polite introductory conversation. And then THAT question comes up. The "Are you seeing anyone" question. And when you reply "No, I'm single" they give you a sad pitying look, which is followed by an awkward silence, and then an offer of "well, I know some single people I can try to set you up with..." You later find out that the single people they were referring to are single for a reason (you know; crazy, fugly, criminal record, obsessed with Yanni, etc.) What would be a good response to the "are you seeing anyone question" that will make it clear that I am not desperate enough to want to date their high-school dropout, flea-infected, eleven-fingered younger brother when the only thing we have in common is that we're single??

~Not desperate


Dear Wisteria Lane,
I loathe that question! People in relationships are WAY too comfortable throwing it around. It's basically like asking, "Are you as happy as I am?" The ONLY time that question is appropriate is if you are chatting with someone you are interested in dating. Period. Other than that, it is just not acceptable.
So, my happily single friend, here's how to avoid any pitying looks (from condescending couples) AND blind dates with the bottom of the barrel. Always answer, "Are you seeing anyone?" with "Oh...I'm sorry, you're not really my type." UNLESS, of course, they're using the question appropriately. Then it's your call, pumpkin.
Solitarily yours,
Bitter Amanda

No comments: